First time National Semi-Finalists, Finalists and Winners are eligible for further financial assistance of up to $5,000 from the National Council Education Fund over a period of three years after the competition. No more than $3,000 will be awarded at one time, and at least six months must have elapsed since a singer competed in the National Semi-Finals or was last heard by the professional committee of the Metropolitan Opera before reapplying.
These funds are obtained through a separate audition and application. The awards and any subsequent aid from the Education Fund should be used only for the following purposes:
- Private voice lessons or coachings
- Instruction in body movement, dance, language, acting, or stage deportment
- Rental or purchase of sheet music, scores, CDs or DVDs
- Piano purchase, piano rental, piano tuning and repair
- Study equipment such as recorders, microphones, or stereo equipment
- Professional photographs
- Professional audition tapes or CDs
- Rental or purchase of gowns and tuxedos
- Travel for auditions or study
Funds are dispersed at the discretion of the Metropolitan Opera’s Artistic staff present at the audition, and only National Council Semi-Finalists, Finalists and Winners are eligible to audition for Education Fund assistance.